Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Its a Coup

Last night I have just sat through my first coup. All the action was only 5km's away and it just seemed like another Tuesday night. The first I knew about it was when I tried to access some of the online Thailand newspaper and they responded after a long wait with lots of PHP/MYSQL errors. A quick flick through the television channels were exactly the same. Pre-recorded music and images of the King.

Luckily, I could still access the CNN and BBC websites to find what was going on. Through the whole thing there was the sound of 'booms' in the distance. Luckily, nobody was shooting at each other, and it was just the usual Bangkok thunderstorm.

Today, some of the newspapers are saying the coup will not affect tourism. I would not be that optimistic, though if you are comming to Thailand, then still come. It is safe! Tomorrow, things should be back to normal.

What lessons could be learnt from this? Maybe the online newspapers need to upgrade some of their hardware. They didn't cope.... I am sure some T2000's would :)

No comments: